Our Motto "In your light we see light"

About College

History

Our Foundress St. Magdalene of Canossa was a woman of great vision. More than 200 years ago she saw the need of opening schools for the education of children. Through her schools she wanted to give a complete education to the poor children, pilule not only teaching them to read and write but also to form their character. She wrote “the purpose of these schools is not only education of good girls, but the formation of good and God fearing mothers of families.

For this purpose she started in her time a sort of training school for girls, who would go out and teach people in the countryside. ”The future of people she said is in the hands of those who teach the youth’’. In her times this idea of giving education to village children was quite a novel one. But she dared to make a start and succeeded. Magdalene’s vision of training teachers since 1822 was a forerunner of the modern T.T.I.

Following the footsteps of St. Magdalene the Canossian sisters started The Teachers training Institute in Belgaum in 1946. Following are the Pioneers who took keen interest to train the young teachers.

(photos of the former principals)

Principal

Principal M. Colombo
(1946-47)

Principal

Principal M. Josephine Sala
(1947-49)

Principal

Principal M. Fernanda Riva
(1949-50)

Principal

Principal M. Guistina Gathesco
(1950-52)

Principal

Principal M. Amelia Menezes
(1952-55)

Principal

Principal M. Guilia Campolongo
(1955-65)

Principal

Principal M. Teresa Sebastian
(1965-88)

Principal

Principal Sr. Marie Kappil
(1988-2003)

Principal

Principal Sr. Sobhana Alice V.
(2003-2014)

Principal

Principal Sr. Cecilia Rebello
(2014 Onwards )

The aim of the activities being carried on in the training institution has been and continues to be the moral formation of the trainees, and the responsibility exercised through the extra-curricular activities, of the college cabinet, the house system, literacy programme, athletics , games N.S.S. and Red Cross ect.

The Teachers’ Training Institute has fulfilled an admirable task in the life of this institution by offering an apt training to such girls who on competing their matriculation and in the present scenario after completion of 12 Std. could not afford to proceed to college. Thus, ever since 1947, a good number of well trained teachers, formed in sound principles of moral and leadership qualities working not only in India but other parts of the world. The institute is indeed proud of them and would like to continue for years to come the tradition handed down by its pioneers.

Status: Aided and Religious Minority

Date of Establishment : 1946

Order No. and date of receiving the :

Recognition from NCTE :
Granted
15th Nov. 2001
F.KR/ELE/61/SRO/NCTE/
2001-2002/8682
AOS00501
16TH Feb. 1996